Monday, May 14, 2007

Chapter 4- The First Parties

Chapter 4- The First Parties

Wednesday night in Woodstock as a JR’s night. As a matter of fact, most nights could involve some sort of alcohol. Monday nights were student night at Dooly’s, Tuesday’s were pool and pitcher nights at The Riverside Pub. Thursday most of the gang went to The Loft for wings and very bad singing. Friday and Saturday nights, there was usually a house party and then you’d head to JR’s.

But before I knew about all of that it was orientation pubcrawl. We’d start at the college, then most of the group went to Bleachers and drink their two free drafts (if you got a clean glass, it was considered a bonus), while the rest of us went to Dooly’s. The people who went out made sure that everyone knew everyone else. We were still getting to know each other, but everyone was getting closer as the drinks went down. Then we went to the Riverside, or should I say, they went to the Riverside. That place was the only one that was Idling, so Luc and I went to Makin’ Donuts next door, till the gang decided that it was time to head to JR’s.

I’ve mentioned JR’s a few times, so I guess a description is in order. It was the only dance club in Woodstock. Three levels, upstairs was The Loft, a pub style restaurant that served really great food along with the best Honey Garlic chicken wings this side of Montreal. The middle level was the actual club; a dance floor about 20 by 10, with a small stage, a few tables and a decent sized bar. This was also the sight of the cause of many a nasty morning, The Shooter Wheel. Downstairs there was a another bar, a few more tables, a few pool tables and pinball machines, a bit of a lounge if you wanted to get away from the people upstairs. Once you were a regular here, I never have been treated better in any bar or club then I was at JR’s. The staff was friendly, and once you got to know them, they just became another member of the large group of friends, if they weren’t working, more often then not, they’d show up just to party with us.

We all survived the pubcrawl, although some didn’t feel like it the next day. On Friday night, Dave, Dave and Bruce were all having a party, and I got an invite. Well, it wasn’t an invite at all, it was “We’re having a party and you’re coming up”. So away I went.

I wasn’t the only newbe there. My Classmate, Joey was there. We kind of stuck close most of the evening, even hitting on a pair of girls that I thought we didn’t know. However, I come to find out later that one of them was Joey’s ex. Later on that night, everyone decided to go to the bar. Neither of the girls were looking to head to the bar, so Joey and I, being the gentlemen that we are, decide to walk them home before I head to the bar.

We drop the girls off and then begin the trek back uptown. Chatting the whole way, we’re walking past the Esso, which is a popular hang out for the locals, mainly local high school students, as I come to find out later. As Joey and I are walking by, two very attractive young ladies call us over. Joey looks at me, I look at Joey and we both say what the hell.

Over we go, talking to these girls in the car. Now keep in mind, I’m just about to turn 19 and have about a year and a half on Joey. The girls ask us what we’re up to that night. I said I was heading to the bar while Joey was going home. After a bit, one of the girls asked how old we were. After telling them, Joey asked how old they were. They told us to guess. I said “Well, you’re sitting behind the wheel, so that makes you at least 16 (I was hoping for 17 at least) The Answer, “nope, we’re both 14”.

I shake my head, slap Joey on the back and say “Best of luck to you, my friend” and head to the bar to talk about how close to proving the old saying “15 gets you 20” Joey and I had been.

No comments: